Monthly Archives: August 2012
It’s all about the relationships baby!
Getting good news media coverage for your business or clients is largely affected by your relationship with news media gatekeepers and reporters. But what does a “relationship” with media really entail? Well, for starters, it can’t just be “all about you (or your organization)!”
To help you on your quest to build (or enhance) your relationship with the local media we are turning the tables for this special session. Instead of putting our media friends on the spot by firing questions at them as they sit on a panel or having them rush through speed networking, we’re going to take time to reconnect with our media “friends” as human beings!
Join us on Tuesday, September 25 for a special networking session with local news media reps from television, print and radio. Take this opportunity to initiate or enhance your relationship by learning more about their families, community involvement, hobbies, what’s new at their media outlet, and more. But remember, relationships are not one-sided! Be ready to share your own human side!
From a business standpoint, we know you want and need updated tips and preferences for sharing and pitching story ideas with each of our media reps,,, but let’s not bog down our friends with these tedious questions. Instead we’re going to gather that information in advance and prepare a special hand-out that you can take back to your office and keep as a reference.
Special Location and Early Deadline:
This session is being hosted by Avow Hospice and will be held at the Ispiri community center located on the Avow Campus at 1095 Whippoorwill Lane in Naples (just off Pine Ridge Rd. near I-75 Exit 107).
Check-in and networking will open at 11:30 AM. Lunch begins promptly at noon.
Don’t miss this special opportunity to make new or to reconnect with your media friends!
Confirmed Media Attendees:
Naples Daily - Dave Osborn
News-Press – Steve McQuilkin
Florida Weekly – Cindy Pierce
Radio – Dave Elliott
WGCU Public Broadcasting – Rick Johnson
eBella – Molly Caldero
Naples Illustrated – Dorothea Stone
: Public Relations and Communications
: USA-FL-Naples-The Ritz-Carlton, Naples
Supports the developing and implementing an ongoing media and community relations. Provides crisis communications assistance to properties. Ensures information to the public and community is displayed correctly and effectively with the best opportunities for providing business. Implements an ongoing, focused media and community relations program.
Education and Experience
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Marketing, Business Administration, or related major; 2 years experience in public relations, communications, or related professional area.
- 4-year degree from an accredited university in Marketing, Business Administration, or related major; no experience required.
Building Brand and Property Awareness to Drive Revenue
- Works collaboratively with local, regional and national resources to build awareness and increase exposure for the property and restaurants.
- Solicits new media outlets and travel media individuals.
- Selects the best opportunities for the property based on market conditions and property needs.
- Uses creative selling abilities to obtain maximum exposure through travel journalists and media outlets.
- Increases awareness within the travel media community as well as coordinating events to gain exposures and grow revenue in the restaurant outlets.
- Supports the hotel’s social media efforts, if applicable.
- Works with online media outlets to promote the hotel.
- Coordinates offers and information for all publications and inserts with regard to brand loyalty reward mailings.
- Develops brochure and property collateral materials.
- Participates in all property imaging work (e.g., signage).
- Ensures consistent brand and property message is communicated in all public relations and communications efforts.
Building Successful Relationships
- Builds and strengthens relationships with existing and new travel writers and local media to ensure future exposure. Activities include calls, entertainment, FAM trips, trade shows, etc.
- Develops relationships within community to strengthen and expand customer base for sales opportunities and additional revenue.
- Conducts solicitation and maintenance calls to media.
- Identifies and communicates with distribution channels that can sell distress inventory to drive property occupancy.
- Provides all communications channels with creative and unique tools to assist in the public relations and communications of the property.
- Assists property in developing promotions for various campaigns.
Coordinating Communication Efforts
- Provides accurate, complete and effective communications to visiting journalists, publicity or promotions.
- Evaluates new public relations opportunities for the property.
- Develops strategic public relations plan for property, includes group, leisure and local efforts.
- Assists in managing individual and group media visits.
- Coordinates community service activities in concert with the public image and needs of the resort.
- Assists in creative print fulfillment; ensures corporate branding standards and legal compliances are met and incorporated into collateral.
- Supports hotel press releases and other content for print media and electronic media.
Providing Exceptional Customer Service
- Sets a positive example for guest relations.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels; effectively responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals and/or managers; continuously strives to improve service performance.
- Conducts site inspections with visiting journalists.
- Keeps detailed files and records on all matters relative to property’s public materials.
- Ensures that property is following all corporate public relations guidelines.
The Ritz-Carlton is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.
: Aug 22, 2012, 2:20:53 PM
Angela has been with the Naples, Marco Island, Everglades Convention and Visitors Bureau for five years. She handles travel public relations and communications, working closely with travel writers and editors from around the country and the world to publicize the area as a premiere vacation and business travel destination, and with the bureau to ensure the quality of its marketing communications materials.
A native of London, England, Angela has lived in Naples for 22 years. Her former positions here were with the Ritz-Carlton, Naples beach resort, and Naples Daily News, where she was assistant to the publisher for nine years.
Prior to moving to the USA, Angela held executive positions with local government at Braintree District Council, and had an extensive career in London’s financial district and at The Times Newspaper of London.
“Writing for ROI: How to Craft Your Press Release and Social Messaging to Get the Maximum Payoff”
Learn how to optimize a press release and your other messaging to get publicity, build brand awareness, increase web traffic, connect with your fans and generate leads online. Uncover how to use the metrics you have to determine the best use of your staff time and budget in charting the course for your PR campaigns.
Laura Sturaitis is Executive Vice President of Media Services & Product Strategy, and heads up Business Wire’s Global Media Relations, Content Licensing, Product Strategy, Public Policy, HQ Online Newsroom and Information Services teams.
Laura is responsible for the comprehensive and timely delivery of Business Wire feed of more than 1200 releases a day sent globally to print, broadcast, online and social media organizations using Business Wire’s multi-platform delivery methods. She is a recognized industry expert in the development of new media tools and services for the distribution, search engine optimization (SEO), social sharing and measurement ROI of press releases. For more than 20 years, she has been instrumental in the evolution of press release on the wire serving clients in public relations, corporate communications, investor relations and traditional and online media.
Her team has lead the industry on the integration and delivery of multimedia content with the press release as well as the display, performance, ranking and measurement of releases and their availability on all traditional as well as new platforms and devices such as mobile phones and tablets. She leads the HQ team which provides leading companies with state-of-the-art online newsrooms and investor centers for their website.
Laura and her team explore and evaluate business development opportunities and help set the direction for the products and services that provide professional communicators with the tools and technologies that get their news and information to audiences worldwide.
Laura has been a featured speaker at national conferences on topics such as Search Engine Optimization & Social Media, Multimedia & the Press Release, New Media Technologies, Measurement & Analytics, Media Relations and Online Communication Strategies.
Laura is a member of Business Wire’s Executive Board and also serves on the Board of PYMNTS.com, Business Wire’s 2009 joint venture, PYMNTS.com. She is based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and started her career with Business Wire in 1992 as Florida Regional Manager. Laura holds an MBA from Florida Atlantic University and a BA in English and Communication from St. Thomas University in Miami, FL.
Laura has the distinction of being a former Jeopardy! Champion. She enjoys travel, music, films, crafts, reading and taking courses on diverse topics online and at local universities and community colleges.
Areas of Expertise: Media Relations, SEO, Social Media, Content Licensing, PR & IR Services, Measurement & Analytics, Integrated Online Marketing and Business Communications.
You can follow her on Twitter @lsturaitis or LinkedIn at Laura Sturaitis